2020 Los Angeles County Air Show
STEM Scholarship Application Criteria and Instructions
Los Angeles County Air Show, Inc. is a IRS 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation (46-4686626) dedicated to promoting the importance of aviation for continued economic growth, inspiration and educational opportunities for our youth, and enhancing awareness for the service and sacrifice of our military men and women. The mission of the Air Show will, in part, be accomplished by giving back to the needs of the community through a regional scholarship program for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in the areas of science, technology, engineering, math or aerospace.
The Los Angeles County Air Show will be offering individual scholarships in the amount of $2,500 to graduating high school seniors planning to enroll in college/university level studies in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM), or Aerospace, starting in the Fall 2018 semester.
Selection criteria will be given merit as follows:
- 20% on scholastic achievement
- 20% on extra-curricular involvement
- 40% on the written essay
- 20% on the letter of recommendation
Applicants must be high school students that either
- Attend school full-time in the Antelope Valley region; or
- Reside in the Antelope Valley and attend school elsewhere.
Qualified applicants must maintain credits to graduate high school at the spring semester of 2020.
Qualified applicants must attend or be admitted to a college or university by the 2020 fall semester. Proof of registration will be required prior to the disbursement of scholarship funds to the institution.
Note: Scholarship awards are based on merit following a fair and transparent selection process. If no candidate is found with sufficient eligibility, the scholarship will remain in scholarship fund.
PART 1: APPLICANT INFORMATION
- Complete the information on the application form provided; only online applications will be accepted.
- Applicants under the age of 18 before June 2020 must provide Parent/Guardian information and secure the Parent/Guardian’s signature on the completed application form.
PART 2: SCHOLASTIC RECORD
- Provide high school transcripts.
PART 3: EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
- Provide a list or resume detailing your involvement in extracurricular activities, volunteering or community service and work or internship experience. You may also include hobbies and interests.
- Indicate your level and timeframe of involvement with each activity, including any leadership roles.
PART 4: ESSAY: Prepare an original essay responding to the following prompt:
As an LA County Air Show STEM Scholarship applicant, you have indicated your interest in pursuing a career in STEM. Describe your college and career goals. Include your STEM field of interest, explain the factors and/or experiences that have influenced these goals and specific interest. Note any STEM projects that you collaborated with others on and what you learned. Also include any additional achievements in STEM you are most proud of and why.
- The essay must be in MS Word or PDF format.
- Essay length: Maximum of two (2) pages
- Formatting: Times New Roman, size 12 font, 1” margins, double-spaced
- Include your name, first and last, school site in header.
PART 5: RECOMMENDATION LETTER
Please include a one page (maximum) recommendation letter from a person who has had an impact on your life and can speak to your STEM college and career goals. Letter should include contact information of the individual submitting letter.
Applying by Personal Email
If you'd like to skip the online form and process your application through your own email please follow the instructions and download the necessary files below. All materials must be submitted via a single e-mail with MS Word or PDF attachments.
Address Email with relevant attachments to:
With a subject line of:
“Scholarship Application: [Last Name, First Name]”
- Deadline to submit application: 12:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 12, 2020
- Applicants will be notified by: Friday, February 7, 2020
- Applicants will be recognized at the LA County Air Show in March 2020
- Check to make sure you have completed and attached the following:
• Part 1: Signed Application
• Part 2: High School Transcripts
• Part 3: Description of Extracurricular Activities (List or Resume)
• Part 4: Essay
• Part 5: Recommendation Letter
Note: Please download the PDF to your computer and fill the form thereafter, form reset and save buttons will not work otherwise.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free download available for install to read and interact with PDF forms of this type.