Los Angeles county Air Show STEM Scholarship
Los Angeles County Air Show, Inc. is a IRS 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation (46-4686626) dedicated to promoting the importance of aviation for continued economic growth, inspiration and educational opportunities for our youth, and enhancing awareness for the service and sacrifice of our military men and women. The mission of the Air Show will, in part, be accomplished by giving back to the needs of the community through a regional scholarship program for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in the areas of science, technology, engineering, math or aerospace.
Criteria and Instructions
The Los Angeles County Air Show will be offering individual scholarships in the amount of $2,500 to graduating high school seniors planning to enroll in college/university level studies in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM), or Aerospace, starting in the Fall 2020 semester.
Selection criteria will be given merit as follows:
- 20% on scholastic achievement
- 20% on extra-curricular involvement
- 40% on the written essay
- 20% on the letter of recommendation
Applicants must be high school students that either
- Attend school full-time in the Antelope Valley region; or
- Reside in the Antelope Valley and attend school elsewhere.
Qualified applicants must maintain credits to graduate high school at the spring semester of 2020.
Qualified applicants must attend or be admitted to a college or university by the 2020 fall semester. Proof of registration will be required prior to the disbursement of scholarship funds to the institution.
Note: Scholarship awards are based on merit following a fair and transparent selection process. If no candidate is found with sufficient eligibility, the scholarship will remain in scholarship fund.
Part 1: Applicant Information
- Complete the information on the application form provided; only online applications will be accepted.
- Applicants under the age of 18 before June 2020 must provide Parent/Guardian information and secure the Parent/Guardian’s signature on the completed application form.
Part 2: Scholastic Records
- Provide high school transcripts.
Part 3: Extracurricular Activities
- Provide a list or resume detailing your involvement in extracurricular activities, volunteering or community service and work or internship experience. You may also include hobbies and interests.
- Indicate your level and timeframe of involvement with each activity, including any leadership roles.
Part 4: ESSAY: Prepare an original essay responding to the following prompt:
As an LA County Air Show STEM Scholarship applicant, you have indicated your interest in pursuing a career in STEM. Describe your college and career goals. Include your STEM field of interest, explain the factors and/or experiences that have influenced these goals and specific interest. Note any STEM projects that you collaborated with others on and what you learned. Also include any additional achievements in STEM you are most proud of and why.
Part 4 Cont’d: Essay Requirements
- The essay must be in MS Word or PDF format.
- Essay length: Maximum of two (2) pages
- Formatting: Times New Roman, size 12 font, 1” margins, double-spaced
- Include your name, first and last, school site in header.
Part 5: Recommendation Letter
Only one letter of recommendation may be submitted.
- The letter must be from a person who has had an impact on your life and can speak to your STEM college and career goals.
- The letter of recommendation should be no longer than one page and include contact information of the individual submitting
Email Application to Scholarships@lacas.us
Deadline to submit application: 12:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 8, 2020.
Applicants will be notified by: Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Applicants will be recognized at the LA County Air Show in March 2020.
Check to make sure you have completed and signed your application, as well as including all relevant attachments (Parts 1 – 5).